Sunday, August 24, 2008

ROLL OUT THE RED CARPET...

This is my first post that I dedicate to the beauty and playful antics that the Damselflies and Dragonflies of Wishnik Woods offer me! I have an absolute love of these creatures...I could sit for hours admiring their acrobats. As I've grown more curious of the damsels and dragons...it seems even they are increasingly curious of me...something that I enjoy, too. I am just starting to educate myself somewhat on these fascinating creatures...so if I am incorrect on ANY identification...please leave a comment of correction. I would truly appreciate it!...also any notes of male or female...or just a line that you visited. In this post, I've included photos of the first time visit to our pond by this" Ruby Meadowhawk". Isn't it beautiful? This one allowed me to bond with it for quite awhile, even allowing me to pet it's wings. Just the feat alone of me half-squatting, leaning forward, arms outstretched(one petting the dragonfly and the other holding a shaking camera!) - trying to keep my balance in the mucky, marsh area of the pond...well, let's just say...would've been one hilarious photo right there. I had to push through overgrown seeding plants (note the seeds on my funky hand shot), and kind of hold them aside and down with my legs. NOT an easy task, let me tell you! The last photo is the "Ruby Meadowhawk" on the left and on the right is a" Widow Skimmer". That poor skimmers' wings were quite battered. I cannot tell you how excited I was when this red dragonfly just flew up and plopped down next to me as I was sitting on our deck!




2 comments:

Dragonflylady44 said...

Hello there, I'm ever so grateful you have connected with me. I too love the dragonfly with almost an obssession. I never ever tire of looking at them. So wonderful to met someone so like-minded. May many wonderful dragons and damsels continue to touch your soul. I also have a youtube channel at dragonflylady44 where I post whimsical dragonfly videos. Check it out if interested. Thanks for the nice message. Many blessings...Elizabeth

spookydragonfly said...

Ramantik...Thank you for stopping by and the comment. I chose not to publish your comment/link...in case one of my gandchildren would click on it. They have access to my blog. Your language unfortunately is foreign to me on your blog ...if that is your artwork..it is absolutely beautiful!